Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Running Ramblings

So, as many of you know, I've been training to run a 5k. I did The Color Run this past week, but wanted to stay with my group and didn't run it (it was a blast, btw). I'm considering doing the race for the cure this September as my first official 5k. I began training in May while I was still living in Colorado. To be clear: I'm one of those people that hates running. I hate it. I loathe it...but it's getting better. I'm finding it a little easier to breathe every day and I'm also finding it less painful (mentally and physically). =) This whole running idea started because I was living in Boulder, CO....they're all exercise fanatics...seriously. So, I decided that I didn't want to be the only lame-o NOT exercising. I also found out about the color run and was SUPER excited about it. I signed up with my sister (above left) and we had a joyous time. =) Anyways, I downloaded the MapMyRun+ app and have been using it like a lifeline. I'm able to view the route I'm taking via GPS, listen to music, record my average speed, and record my time. Yes, this is a shameless plug. One of the biggest concerns I had when I started running was my back. I've had serious back pain since junior high and I didn't want to make it worse. I did some research and found that part of my issue was probably my shoes (yes!!!!). I have no arch on the bottom of my foot so when I'm standing barefoot my ankles roll inward. This is a problem, right?

Everything was out of alignment. Bummer. So, I had to search for shoes with some serious arch support. I did some more research and found a lovely pair of nikes lunarglides that would do the trick. 
Thus far, I've had no back issues related to running. Lesson one: get good shoes. You need to figure out what kind of foot you have. Some people have the opposite problem from me and their ankles roll outward. Others are perfect and have no issues (jerks). =) So, figure out WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Honestly, people, if you have qualms against running: just do it anyway! It's a wonderful form of exercise (even if it seems like torture). It's a great way to get in shape and lose those extra pounds! When I started I could barely run a mile...now I'm running three. If I can do it SO CAN YOU.



Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I actually have this exact same problem with my feet. I only just figured out why I was in so much pain a few months ago. I have yet to get some good shoes so I'm glad to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Marie! Good luck on your shoe hunt!

      Delete