Monday, August 13, 2012

Weight Watchers Point System

It's been brought to my attention that half of you have no idea what I'm talking about when I say Weight Watchers (WW) Points. I'm going to let you in on the secret. =)

The WW program assigns point values to all foods. Every single thing you consume has a point value. A couple years ago the WW program had a complete overhaul and now uses the PointsPlus system (which is what I am talking about on this blog).

About the program...

1. Uses fat, carbs, fiber, and protein to calculate PointsPlus values. 
Basically, they've become more informed of what is good for you and what isn't. The PointsPlus program calculates points based on how much fat, carbs, fiber, and protein there are in any given food (you have to purchase a PointsPlus calculator to participate). The goal is to eat foods that are high in protein and fiber and low in carbohydrates and fats. Those foods are healthier due to the body working harder to process protein/fiber. The body stores more calories of foods that are higher in carbs/fats. The picture to the right is a screen shot of my e-tools app for my iPhone (LOVE IT). This is how I figure out points for foods. You can also purchase an actual PointsPlus calculator from any Weight Watcher's location, online, etc.

2. All fruits and vegetables (excluding starchy veggies) are zero points.
You can eat as many fruits and veggies as your little heart desires (YES!). I stock up on fruits and veggies at the grocery store as they have now become my go-to snack.

3. Each person is given a daily PointsPlus target each day and a weekly bonus allowance.
Your daily PointsPlus target is the amount of points that you are required to eat each day. For instance, I'm allowed 26 points per day. I have to eat that much each day. If you eat less than that amount of points your body isn't receiving the nutrients it needs and it will go into, what I like to call, "starvation mode." You don't want that. I'm also allowed 49 "bonus" points per week. The beauty of this is that if I'm going out to dinner with friends I don't have to worry about going over my daily PointsPlus target because I have some wiggle room due to the bonus points. The flexibility of this program is magic. For me, it's what makes it do-able.

4. Simply Filling
This is the option for those of you that would have trouble writing down each and every thing that you eat each day. This option wants you to eat primarily "power foods." These are foods that provide high energy and nutrients. If you look at the picture to the left you can see foods with those lovely green triangles. Those are considered power foods. Weight Watchers has a very extensive list of power foods which are available to you through the program. You don't have to track your foods which is the beauty of this method. You eat until you are satisfied and that's it. Also, the 49 bonus points are still available for you to use besides the power foods.

5. BE ACTIVE!
Weight Watchers also has a point system for activity! If you earn a point for activity, you can swap it for a point for food. So, if I go running for 30 minutes and earn 6 activity points, I can use those towards food during my week! Yay! Incentive to exercise! Of course, you're not required to eat those points...it's just an option and an added bonus for people like me who LOOOOOVE food...and beer. =)

6. Good Health Guidelines
I've already addressed these in my "I Hate Vegetables! Help!" blog so feel free to check those out again too! =)

All in all, this is a wonderful, well-rounded program. I never feel as though I'm not getting enough (when I follow the plan correctly). I know that if I screw up a new day is only a few hours away. I HIGHLY encourage those of you who have tried and failed at a variety of other programs to try this one! I've tried a multitude of other plans, but none of them have carried the same success as Weight Watchers. Try it and love it...you won't be sorry. =)




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment